Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Reason To Run

The other day the husband registered us for The Broad Street run. This is a 10 miler that we've run in the past. It is a fun, fast, flat race. This year they are capping the run at 30,000. Registration opened on Saturday and it's already been closed...unbelievable!! Last year the husband and I missed out because we waited too long to register. Since I had already started training for the run I was pretty disappointed. That was last year, this year we are IN!

Now let the training begin (at the end of February actually)! I haven't been running too much recently because I have something going on with my right leg and lower back on the right side. My guess is that it's my sciatic nerve. It has acted up on me in the past. I've still been hitting the gym and doing a lot of other things like Zumba, Spinning and Body Works and throwing in a short 3 or 4 miler once a week. Over the next few weeks I will be easing back into my running and my training schedule will start about 10 weeks out.  It will look something like this:

This schedule is loosely based on Hal Higdon's intermediate 15k training schedule. This is not carved in stone because there will be times when a workout will be missed and sometimes the days will be flipped. Some weekends my long run may happen on a Saturday and REST will be Sunday. I also intend on incorporating my Zumba classes into this schedule as cross training since I enjoy them so much, and maybe even a spinning class or two. In other words, I reserve the right to flip and maneuver this schedule however I see fit. :)

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

30,000 runners!?!!? It'll five miles before you can take a full stride!

amy said...

Hurray!! We are IN! Can't wait to start training! I hope your leg feels better!! Zumba rocks!!!!

IBX said...

Glad you got in for this year's race! Happy Training!

You can stay connected with other runners and get event news by connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ibxrun10 or Follow us on Twitter @ibxrun10.